OrderedBytes
OrderedBytes User Forum
FAQ FAQ     Search Search     Memberlist Memberlist     Usergroups Usergroups     Register Register
Profile Profile     Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages     Log in Log in
MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> Controller Types
MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:05 am  •   #920
Ken
Developer

A downloadable Controller Type for the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 was added today.

This adds compatibility with the "My Favorites 1", "My Favorites 2", "My Favorites 3", "My Favorites 4", and "My Favorites 5" buttons. It also hides a large number of controls that do not actually exist on the device.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
problem with using m$ natural "My favourite" keys Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:23 am  •   #2201
lypanov

Even after installing the download for this, after finding that out of the box it doesn't quite work as hoped, I'm still unable to program the favourites keys on my keyboard.

In the controller types list I see two variants of my keyboard name, one says "keyboard" the other "consumer". The consumer option has various interesting keys, the ones I'd hope to program. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be possible to access this controller from the controllers palette, instead I see "1 keyboard" and "2 keyboard". After deselecting "Display controller in Palette window" for the "keyboard" variant of the natural controller type, both "1 keyboard" and "2 keyboard" disappear from the controller palette.

I'm using 10.5, and the m$ drivers were running earlier on today, and I've not yet rebooted, so I'll try rebooting and testing again, if it works fine after that I'll report back here.
Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:16 am  •   #4337
DNABeast

Okay. I just had this same problem. It sounds like you've installed the Microsoft keyboard drivers. Nasty things that are tricky to remove. You can find the problem files at System/Library/Extensions/Microsoft Keyboard (or something like that. I can't remember exactly and now that file is gone.)
Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:42 pm  •   #7817
3d

Has this been updated for 4.6.2? I'm not seeing the "blue outer border highlight" in the controllers palette for a 4000 keyboard, like I do for my other devices, when I'm editing them in the controllermate editor.

I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks.
Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:00 pm  •   #7818
3d

In addition, when adding an individual building block for a key, like the control, option, or command(called "GUI" for some reason??), and pressing that key on the 4000 keyboard, controllermate doesnt show the block being activated, as the key is pressed, this too goes for the various keys of the letters on the keyboard too.

none of the keys are activating blocks in controllermate, perhaps this device cmate file isnt compatible with 4.6x??

When loading the 4000's cmate file, there appear 2 devices, one called "Consumer Control", and the other called "Keyboard". The consumer control device (aka, just the extra media keys on the keyboard) work properly! It properly triggers(lights up) the individual programming blocks, and shows the blue border in the controllers palette. Its the "keyboard" device in the controllers palette that isnt working properly, triggering blocks, showing that any input is happening at all.

If anyone has any solutions, I'd appreciate any help. thanks.
Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:14 am  •   #7820
Ken
Developer

Compatibility with special keys may have changed in ControllerMate v4.6.x. However, the standard keys of a keyboard should not be affected.

Has anything changed with regard to other keyboard software that is currently installed? Something like Microsoft's keyboard software might affect how ControllerMate sees the various keys.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:21 pm  •   #7827
3d

@Ken Thank you for your reply, as always, ControllerMate offers its users EXCELLENT support Smile

I've uninstalled the kext for the keyboard, then attempted to see if it functions properly in ControllerMate, but still none of the regular keyboard keys are being recognized by controllermate, the keyboard device is, but not the regular keys; again though, the special media keys are, that are being recognized as a separate device by controllermate (much like my warcraft cataclysm mouse).
Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:33 pm  •   #7828
3d

I've double checked that all of the kext and background processes arent running, then unplugged & tested the 4000. Though only those media keys (the 2nd of the 2 devices in the controllers palette) are working. The main keyboard keys still arent being recognized by Controllermate. Sad

I'm on OSX 10.8.2
with controllermate 4.6.2
Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:08 pm  •   #7830
Ken
Developer

3d wrote:
I've uninstalled the kext for the keyboard...

Just to make sure, did you also rebuild the KEXT cache to make sure that the deleted extension is really gone? (Simply deleting the KEXT bundle may not have an effect.)
Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:42 pm  •   #7834
3d

WOW, now this is just plain weird!

So here was the solution, I've tested it a number of times now, many many times.

again, this is sooooo odd Confused

The solution, was to QUIT 1 SPECIFIC APP I have launch on startup. The name of this app is "Social Pro", from the website http://www.socialdeskapp.com
Social Pro is an imo great app for those with multiple social media accounts (twitter, G+, facebook, gmail, etc). But that aside, when I'm running this app, controllermate doesnt recognize the keyboard????? wtf???? But when I quit this specific app, Controllermate DOES properly recognize the keyboard. I've rarely see such a nuanced "bug", personally speaking. But at least I've found a solution.

I've tested this over 20+ times now, and it is definitely the culprit. But its just boggling as to why this would prevent controllermate from recognizing the keyboard. Anyhow, I've found the solution, and will attempt to find another app to replace Social Pro, because there's no way I'm replacing ControllerMate ! Wink

I'm sure you're busy with updates and bugfixes(thank you in advance), so I don't expect you to find out the cause of this one specific issue. But hopefully, in the future, other apps dont prevent ControllerMate from working in the manner that this specific App has.

P.S. Have you considered having a preference option in ControllerMate to increase the "nice" value for the various controllerMate processes? So the Controllermate process (the main one & the helper process) are more responsive, if the user so chooses. I do it manually myself, and would like to be able to have ControllerMate handle that itself if possible.

P.P.S. if you've read this far. Are you considering ever making a Linux version of Controllermate? I'd pay double or more for this functionality on Linux. With the desktop OSX morphing into an iOS environment that doesnt any longer properly support multiple displays, its beginning to hinder my productivity workflow, and am slowly moving my studio over to Linux (ubuntu specifically). The Unity/Gnome/KDE desktop environments are just far more powerful than OSX which no longer functions properly on systems with multiple monitors (see mission control, dragging windows in mission control, and a ton of other issues). After 2 OSX revisions, there have been NO fixes to this glaring lack of PRO functionality, after spaces & expose were stripped from 10.7, as was proper multiple display support. 2/3 of the apps my studio creates with (audio/3d/2d/video) are already native, and for sale on Linux, so we've begun the transition. Pardon the long post; I just really appreciate ControllerMate, you've done an EXCELLENT job on it, I'd be missing functionality when/if we fully transition to Linux in the next 2ish years (given that it appears Apple is considering dropping OSX support for all of our still fairly new/capable 64-bit Mac Pros with 10.9????? ugh). I recognize you've likely not had anyone request such a thing, though I just wanted to put the thought into the mix for ControllerMate.
Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:25 pm  •   #7836
Ken
Developer

3d wrote:
WOW, now this is just plain weird!

So here was the solution, I've tested it a number of times now, many many times.

again, this is sooooo odd Confused

The solution, was to QUIT 1 SPECIFIC APP I have launch on startup. The name of this app is "Social Pro", from the website http://www.socialdeskapp.com
Social Pro is an imo great app for those with multiple social media accounts (twitter, G+, facebook, gmail, etc). But that aside, when I'm running this app, controllermate doesnt recognize the keyboard????? wtf???? But when I quit this specific app, Controllermate DOES properly recognize the keyboard. I've rarely see such a nuanced "bug", personally speaking. But at least I've found a solution.

I've tested this over 20+ times now, and it is definitely the culprit. But its just boggling as to why this would prevent controllermate from recognizing the keyboard. Anyhow, I've found the solution, and will attempt to find another app to replace Social Pro, because there's no way I'm replacing ControllerMate ! Wink

I'm sure you're busy with updates and bugfixes(thank you in advance), so I don't expect you to find out the cause of this one specific issue. But hopefully, in the future, other apps dont prevent ControllerMate from working in the manner that this specific App has.

Yeah, strange. It is possible for software to "seize" a particular input device. ControllerMate doesn't do that. I know that Wacom's software does (or did at one point) and that prevented ControllerMate from observing its activity. I can think of no valid reason why a social media app would take that approach. Is it a port from another platform? It maybe that such practices are common elsewhere.

3d wrote:
P.S. Have you considered having a preference option in ControllerMate to increase the "nice" value for the various controllerMate processes? So the Controllermate process (the main one & the helper process) are more responsive, if the user so chooses. I do it manually myself, and would like to be able to have ControllerMate handle that itself if possible.

I'd rather just re-architect the whole thing make it a more modern app. There is plenty I can do without appropriating more system resources.

3d wrote:
P.P.S. if you've read this far. Are you considering ever making a Linux version of Controllermate? I'd pay double or more for this functionality on Linux. With the desktop OSX morphing into an iOS environment that doesnt any longer properly support multiple displays, its beginning to hinder my productivity workflow, and am slowly moving my studio over to Linux (ubuntu specifically). The Unity/Gnome/KDE desktop environments are just far more powerful than OSX which no longer functions properly on systems with multiple monitors (see mission control, dragging windows in mission control, and a ton of other issues). After 2 OSX revisions, there have been NO fixes to this glaring lack of PRO functionality, after spaces & expose were stripped from 10.7, as was proper multiple display support. 2/3 of the apps my studio creates with (audio/3d/2d/video) are already native, and for sale on Linux, so we've begun the transition. Pardon the long post; I just really appreciate ControllerMate, you've done an EXCELLENT job on it, I'd be missing functionality when/if we fully transition to Linux in the next 2ish years (given that it appears Apple is considering dropping OSX support for all of our still fairly new/capable 64-bit Mac Pros with 10.9????? ugh). I recognize you've likely not had anyone request such a thing, though I just wanted to put the thought into the mix for ControllerMate.

Thanks for the comments. I get these sorts of questions occasionally. There may be a future for ControllerMate on other platforms, but that falls under the category of "wishful thinking" at the moment. Depending on what changes in 10.9, jumping platforms may take on greater urgency.
Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:54 pm  •   #7837
3d

as always, thank you for your reply & support. Have a good one Smile
Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:01 pm  •   #7838
3d

one more note, i could REALLY REALLY use a "Master Enable" key command. There have been TONS of times I've needed it due to some experimental programming in ControllerMate. Please oh please include such a key command in ControllerMate. Thanks Smile
Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:03 pm  •   #7839
Ken
Developer

It's not really a keyboard command per se, but the example on this documentation page is the setup that I use. Hold the Escape key for a few seconds and Master Enable turns off ... not that I would ever need such a thing, mind you Wink
Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:09 pm  •   #7840
3d

thanks for the pro-tip Smile
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> Controller Types
Jump to: